Friday, July 13, 2007

"First time" in Hong Kong!

Writing from HK, where time is 1 hour ahead of Bangkok. It's now 3.21 p.m. at MC Flat, somewhere in Kennedy Town :)

This is probably my 5th or 6th visit to Hong Kong, a city so charming that i keep coming back although i'm not into shopping at all, and so i thought i knew so much about Hong Kong when i actually knew so little of it!

So...how is it being my 'First Time'?? About a month ago, got a message from Beatrice asking if i was interested to chair their SNCF (summer conference - mainly for leadership team to consolidate thier plan and learn knowledge/skills to implement the plan)...took some time to think over the offer and of course i said YES! That was my first time being asked to Chair any conference, very excited and nervous too at first since its gonna be my first experience...and in another country!!

'The Star Conference' (with a sub-theme of 'DO SOMETHING') was such an awesome experience for me, had so much fun durin the preparation and in the conference itself (and the site was AWESOME!! - UST!!!), so many inspiring conversations ... thanks everyone for contributing in any way to this conference and making another impact in my life :) Dont wanna repeat things i said in closing plenary again... but thank you so much for everything, everyone of you! (pictures: please find on my facebook and the STAR conference group!)

Random thoughts and moments:

- I never expect MC Hong Kong to be like this...haha...you gotta experience it!
- There are so many random people in the world; never use the word 'random' as often before.... one delegate told me that she's never heard the word random as many times as in this conference alone (and it was like 2 1/2 days?)!
- I'm not a really confident person, not really good at speaking in public ... (getting better bit by bit) ... and they used to have a Chair like Anisha and Ryan last year, so much expectation/pressure as i'm so different from them..not as wild or funny, even think myself as a very boring person (kinda am). A bit terrified to start off, but i learned that i just have to be myself ~ being random has its own good ~ go ahead and do it, no time to fear.... save my energy and acting my best to be so active in front of plenary :p

- I'm quite good at IT things, fast learner i would say, picked up how to do flash and managed to do 1-minute-flash presentation in 2 days
- Internet speed here is incredible comparing to Thailand... heaven for bit torrent ~~ Wooohh
- Need to improve on time management and be more strict to myself and others! be more structured too.... thanks for all the constructive feedback :)
- Bangkok's full name in Thai... how people tried and failed miserably to recite it :p Thanks for all the attempts, really appreciate that!
- Discover other parts of HK... and how we are so similar and so different :)
- How my accent seems to be influenced very easily wherever i go..... Malaysian & HK are the strongest influence lah~!
- The true meaning and usage of 'Dim ah' !
- Recalling the moment i first joined AIESEC, why i've stayed for this long.... why it is so hard for us, alumni, to leave the organization! Must think of my H4TF stage already :p

....so on and so on


In 3 days, i'm leaving this country and going back to my hometown... 2 weeks before going to Turkey to have another exciting experience...happy to know that i will see some familiar faces again (quite many!)... sad to not know where and when i'll see some of them again. But AIESEC world is smaller than we think actually, and we always have msn and facebook!! Thanks to the world of Technology!! :D

2 comments:

c'est moi said...

Hey Pui,
Glad to see you have gone to this coolest path..I'm sure you have learned and enjoyed a lot. I wish you for the best lah!! :-)

Nadiyka said...

Love u, babe!!

somehow only read this post now (lack of internet in MC flat) and all this coming back home thing :).... miss you a lot, btw