Monday, March 19, 2007

Bangkok Real Name!


I'm always amused by people's reaction when i tell them the full name of our capital city, Bangkok. For Thais, we call our city 'Krung Thep' or 'Krung Thep Mahanakhon' which translate to 'City of Angels'.
And how does that amaze people?? Well, simply because it doesn't stop just that!! Its full name is recorded as the world's longest place name!! How?? Just see this:

"Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit"

"กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์"

And the translation goes like this:

"The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn."

And if you wonder why it's recognized as Bangkok, well...as it's explained here; Bangkok (translating as 'village of wild plums') was the original site for the capital city and was located west of the Chao Phraya river (in modern day Thonburi). In 1782, King Rama I decided to move to a more defensible site and moved across the river to found his new capital, Krung Thep. For whatever reason, foreigners have never since caught up with the name change and the old name of Bangkok has stuck.

10 comments:

Sharon said...

Anisha and I will try our best to learn it by the time we meet again =)

Pui said...

Make me proud!

Meet again, on TNY 07 eh?

Amy said...

I want to go to the transition weekend too :'( did you go to APXLDS??

Pui said...

I didn't go to APXLDS la, can't you go to the transition weekend?? Why??
Stil wanna know how its gonna work now, our transition week :D

Come to our Thai New Year! 13th - 15th April is the biggest festival in Thailand :)

ZJ said...

hey pui! how ya doing?

thought you might want to try to link this up. i dont really know how to post up as an mvi though.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t301/chaoching/?action=view¤t=MVI_1097.flv

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on puiiup.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me present you with one fact here. Recent Scientific Research shows that almost 50% of all United States adults are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

true male masturbation stories said...

He told me that he wasgoing to do whatever he wanted to me from now on and I told himthat I wanted him to use and abuse me whenever he wanted, andthat I was his sex slave. With that he told me to offer my breasts to him for hispleasure, I immediately held each of my breasts in my own handsone at a time and offered them to him for him to slap.
wild teen sex stories
xxx stories son fucks mom
free interracial gay sex stories
stories of masturbation
true school sex stories
He told me that he wasgoing to do whatever he wanted to me from now on and I told himthat I wanted him to use and abuse me whenever he wanted, andthat I was his sex slave. With that he told me to offer my breasts to him for hispleasure, I immediately held each of my breasts in my own handsone at a time and offered them to him for him to slap.

Anonymous said...

Before you begin an interior-design and style task, explore the rates of the resources you will need. Normally, when you go shopping and compare prices, it will be possible to find better prices than you expected. Looking around also provides you with time to make sure that your opinions are cement and nicely-fleshed out prior to carry out a large undertaking. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Hou4445r[/url]

Anonymous said...

Use vacations and crucial activities to your great advantage in your e-mail marketing promotions. For example, if it's Valentine's Time, consider incorporating things such as candies, flowers, hearts and other related imagery or models. Your potential customers ought to benefit from the imagination and festiveness of your communications close to special instances of the year. [url=http://www.xxxw12woo.info]interggf[/url]